Monday, September 29, 2008

Oh Joy, Rapture!

I'm flying home this weekend to be in one of my best friend's weddings (and not in an attempted break up Julia Roberts type way). So this is the second wedding in a little over a year in which I've been a bridesmaid and, once again, it seems strange that someone my age, and, in this case, someone I've known for almost half my life, is getting hitched. Although, technically she's already hitched, but this is the big ceremony where family and friends get to come and see and they do the "traditional" wedding thing. Matrimony. Weird. I'm still not dating anyone (and not even CLOSE since I'm in a new town and haven't even really met anyone outside my roommates yet) and therefore I'm still light years away from the reality of marriage and it just seems so weird inside my head that I can't grasp it. Dang, I miss having a boy.
Of course, I'm super happy for her and now I've actually MET the groom, which is good, since I wasn't around for any of the meeting/dating/proposal/civil ceremony stuff. Fortunately the last time I went home I finally met him and liked him quite immensely. Oh my friend, she's one of the greatest people I know. We met in the 8th grade I belive. If I remember correctly it was through mutual friends, but she was also in my P.E. class. I still remember the sun/moon celestial backpack she had and when she got a short haircut I was impressed and jealous that she'd chop off all her hair and look so darn good doing it. I remember going to her house to keep her company while her little sister had a sleepover with a dozen shrieking girls. I remember dying my hair, rinsing it thoroughly but STILL ending up leaving orange-y marks all over her white stuffed rabbit--she didn't even yell at me. She unfailingly makes me feel loved and good about myself. We never talk on the phone but when we see each other maybe twice a year it's all happiness and silliness and no awkwardness. I hope I'm friends with her for a very very very long time. Like, forever would be nice.

So on Thursday I'm flying down, Friday is the rehearsal and Saturday I'm hopefully squeezing my way into the bridesmaid dress. Squeezing. This is what happens when you try on and order dresses at a time when you're regularly going to a gym and running and then you quit your job, go on vacation, move out of state and don't have enough money to join a gym and running often seems to hurt your knees and ankles and so you don't work out regularly: you gain weight. Here's hoping that my change in diet is at least helping. I live with very health conscious people and, therefore, have been attempting to eat more green things and less cheese-coated, deep-fried things (mmmm...deep friiiied...). Pleeeease let me fit into the dress, I don't want to have to buy a corset.
Hmmmm, maybe I'll go for a run right now...

3 comments:

joanna said...

if you can still spare a moment or two or ten on thursday, I might be kind of excited to see you

Kara said...

never before did a bridesmaid in a vail plus some wine look sooo good.

Melissa said...

lol! i love the link =)