Sunday, August 24, 2008

Eat It, (Probably Shouldn't) Read It, Watch It.

I have attended two barbecues since arriving in Washington. Both barbecues were, with the exception of one acquaintance, entirely populated by strangers who didn't pay me much mind.

Until I fell down.

Yes, I managed to eat it on two separate occasions, causing large groups of strangers to suddenly focus all their attention on me. Sweet, now if anyone remembers me, it will be as, "That girl, the one who fell." Yeah. I'm hip.

Another lame facet of the jewel of my clumsiness is that this last time I fell I mildly mangled my ankle. It only hurts when I put pressure on it from a certain angle and I'm still functional, mobile, even. I can walk, just with a limp (this, more of a Christopher Walken The Dead Zone limp than the chicken has). And my ankle is swollen, which is interesting.

Due to my unfortunate tumble I spent my Saturday evening with my foot propped up. It wasn't a complete loss, however, because I got to knit and listen to a book on tape (Aside: I know, I know, it's not actually on tape, but "book on tape" just sounds...happier than "audiobook", which sounds sterile and unfulfilling.) I made the oh so happy discovery that the Seattle Public Library has a number of audiobooks online for your downloading and listening pleasure (unfortunately not yet compatible with iPods--oh, poo). Thusly, I spent 5 hours teaching myself to make cable knit arm warmers (I'm fabulous, by the way) while listening to the highly entertaining Blood & Chocolate, a YA werewolf story I vaguely recall having read in elementary school or junior high. I think it's sort of what the Twilight series wishes it could be. Not to say that Blood & Chocolate is Pulitzer material, but it's not quite as laughably shallow as the Edward and Bella saga.

And now that we've broken that tragic secret, yes, I did read Twilight, that book of dubious fan-girl-screaming-crazy-tears-running-down-their-faces fame. I couldn't help it. My best friend told me how awful it was and so, of course, I decided that I needed to read it--I'm a lover of MST3K which means I am a lover of the hilariously bad. Call it morbid curiosity? After reading it I decided two things:

1. I simply don't understand what all the fuss is about
2. It reads as if a talented teenager had read an excellent vampire romance novel and then wrote a very very long fanfiction about it.

That said, I'm probably going to read at least one more from the series. I can't help it--I have to try and understand what sends the weeping masses over the edge about it. Or at least have another eye-rolling, head-shaking, sigh-heaving, hands-to-the-heavens hearty chuckle. But I'm going to check them out of the library--I can't bring myself to support it monetarily...or to be seen picking it up, standing in line with it, and paying for it.

What I will support monetarily, however, is the film Pineapple Express. Liz and I went and saw it on Friday night an boy howdy, was it a doozy. I LOVED IT. If you enjoyed 40 Year-Old Virgin or Knocked Up and their vulgar, yet bizarrely sweet and endearing characters, you're well on your way to enjoying Pineapple Express. If you liked the hilarious action of Hot Fuzz, that's another step in the right direction. I can't even explain the joy that it brought to me (however, the words "Seth Rogen" and "James Franco" are a good start). So if you can handle a dose of foul language, a lot of pot and some occasionally graphic violence (boy, what an endorsement), then you've come to the right place my friend. Sit with me, laugh with me, love with me.

2 comments:

Kara said...

can you please teach me to knit. esp arm warmers---that seems to be an extremely useful piece of knitting. i found this one scarf i started about 4 years ago. it is about 6 inches done.

come visit me and teach me all about your knitting genius.

joanna said...

falling + crown = Your Grace