Monday, September 13, 2010

Rot!

Oh bother,  I've got blossom end rot.  Well, I don't, but my tomatoes do.  From what I gather this is usually caused by uneven moisture or by calcium deficiency.  I have a sneaking suspicion that mine is due to bad drainage.  I'm really going to have to rethink how I work in the big plastic tubs I bought this year (more gravel on bottom? Bigger/more drainage holes beneath that gravel? Mulching? Was it mulching? It was mulching, wasn't it!? I SHOULD HAVE MULCHED!)  I'm worried all my little babies will turn grey and creepy and rot from the bottom up.  Can I get at least ONE good, ripe tomato?

Admittedly this whole container gardening thing was a domestic whim and I sort of just threw in and flew by the seat of my pants.  I tend to do that - just "give it a whirl" without doing appropriate research beforehand.  But I've really enjoyed what little gardening I've done and would like to do better at it next year and plan ahead and actually plant the little suckers on the right schedule.  So I'm going to get myself a copy of The Bountiful Container and do myself some research!

On the plus side, at least my chard is doing well.  Those guys are tough!  Mommy's little soldiers.

1 comment: