Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Roommate + Asian Food Products = Awesome

On her most recent trip to Thailand my roommate brought me the best present: Thai tea! 

If its logo is a thumbs up, it's gotta be good.

The last time she went she brought back juice boxes of the stuff and I fell in love.  It took us a bit but we found a restaurant near us that makes awesome tea.  Of course, I wanted to try making it at home.  The internet claims you can make it by just steeping a lot of strong black tea with some various spices like star annise and vanilla bean, but when I tried it ended up tasting like Chai tea.  Similar sound, different taste.  But, being Thai and all, this stuff is the real stuff!  Make a single serving in the French press, add way too much sugar, some ice and a healthy dose of evaporated milk and you've got heaven in a cup, my friend.

Heaven is apparently a beautiful pumpkin color.

Also Asian food and roommate related, this weekend was our eighth friendiversary (thank you, Westmont, for bringing me a delightful bud and awesome roommate).  We ended up making Indian food and watching a Bollywood movie from the 90s which prominently featured big hair, a climactic bike race, and someone punching someone else approximately every five minutes.  It was my first foray into Indian food and I was quite excited. 

This is what you need to make potato and chickpea masala and lamb tikka: 


I was going to make rava dosas (sort of like crepes) to go with the potato chickpea masala, but Liz made naan, so I've still got the semolina and rice flour.  The masala was so darned easy to make and sooooo delicious that I'll just have to make it again soon and make the dosas this time.  Next time I go to a BBQ I want to bring this instead of potato salad. 

This pic isn't as well-staged as I'd like, but can you blame me?  I was so busy
starting to stuff my face that I completely forgot about photos!

No comments: