Saturday, July 24, 2010

I Love People and Places!

I am ridiculously excited for the next few weeks. My family is coming up to Seattle this next week and will be here Friday through Thursday. We're going to hang out and drive around the state and see beautiful things and generally be goofy in that uniquely Galvan way - I love that my whole family is kooky and we enjoy the same things and the same music. We actually like each other. Then Thursday night they're driving me to the airport where I will take off for Burbank to visit my favorite Casey who is interning at the Disney animation studio. She's actually THERE! Inside the building! Making things and meeting people! She's talked to Glen Keane. GLEN KEANE! If you liked Ariel, the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, or Tarzan, then you like Glen Keane. I'm going to visit her and tour around then we're going to DISNEYLAND!!! I haven't been to the Motherland for two years - far too long for one such as myself. Then, unfortunately, I'll have to work for a few weeks, but Labor Day weekend I'm flying to Denver to see Kara for CraftFest2010!!!! We apparently stole the idea from Kara's mother and her college friend. In order to maintain our awesomeness, we want to get together, ideally annually, to craft and hang out (and eat...and drink...) and just generally be the super sweet people we are - but together. In the same state. ROCK!!!

I also just plain love the actual travel process (except the packing). I'm sure that if I had a job where it was a part of my regular life, the shine would wear off, but there's something so....comforting? to me about travel. I don't know. On the one hand travel seems like it should be stressful, but I haven't really had many bad experiences. I tend to feel peaceful and happy (and, let's face it, grown up) when I travel because I'm doing something fun and going someplace great to see people that I love. I also like sitting in airports and people-watching, reading books, getting a drink at the airport bar, knitting, occasionally even talking to random strangers (interesting note: it's the knitting that starts most conversations). When I went to Italy and took trips from there to Sweden and Spain I somehow grew this fondness for airports and it's stuck with me. I feel so free and calm and ready-to-go when I get through security and am walking through the terminal.

I'M EXCITEEEEEEEED!!!!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

you would totally fit in in china with the knitting. you could just sit down on the side of the road on a stool and join right in.

Stickfigure Darcy said...

Roadside knitting? I'm in.