Thursday, July 1, 2010

Races and Ritters

I ran my race! I am not dead! I suppose I didn't really think I'd fail, considering I actually made an effort to train and I'd run 10 miles the previous weekend without a crisis, but it's still a major accomplishment for me of the couch-and-tv-and-food-are-my-best-friends lifestyle. 2 hours, 22 minutes and 27 seconds. If only I'd run five seconds faster, it would have been all 2s! O, wild calamity! I had a BLAST doing it. I was so jazzed at the end I yelled, "Let's do it again RIGHT NOW!" but that was just the insanity talking.




I done runned the hell out of that race!

I ran the whole way, only walking long enough to take the water they hand you along the course and drink it without throwing it in my own face and the weather was perfect. It's so much easier to run when people hand you drinks and Gu and cheer for you the entire time. I kept what I thought was a pace I could maintain the whole time, then two miles from the end realized I had SO much energy left that I basically sprinted the final mile which felt good, but oddly disappointing. Maybe part of me wanted to have a sweaty, collapsing, "I beat you, Death, I beat you! I surviiiiived!" kind of finish, but I will accept sprinting. Also, I got to litter indiscriminately (done with your water? Toss the cup on the ground! They'll rake it up for you!), AND I got to run through a tunnel and on the freeway! How often do us regular folk get to run on the FREEWAY!?

The rest of Saturday was a lot of lying down, Saturday night/Sunday afternoon I sang my final two concerts of the season then went to our end-of-season party where I had the most delicious pineapple infused vodka in existence and sat around being goofy with my fellow altos.

Sunday night Joanna took me to a Josh Ritter concert - LIFE-CHANGING AMOUNTS OF JOY!!! He was the single happiest, bounciest human being I have ever encountered. His bass player has an amazing handlebar mustache. Their music filled me with wonder and energy and joy. I smiled so much it hurt. I crippled myself for him - I was in sharp, physical pain from the kneecaps down, but it doesn't matter. If you have the chance to see him in concert, GO, for the love of God, GO!



Gogogogogo!!!





No comments: