Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sleeping Beauty; At Last!

My sister was here last weekend. I likes her! As usual it was a lot of eating and being silly and that's perfect. We made Greek food and pasta with mushrooms and a homemade cream sauce (several attempts, but the last one came out delicious). The primary reason for her visit was to see The Sleeping Beauty Ballet, which I have waited my whole life to witness in person. I did not disappoint. Visually excellent - great costumes and use of color and a clean set. Dancing is always a weird mix of "That doesn't look so hard" and "Holy crap!" I'm torn in deciding the best part of the ballet. It was one of two things. Either the evil fairy (played by a man, of course) who FLEW by way of harness, was heralded by explosions and lighting, and who had a bit of the Baba Yaga about her if I do say so myself. OR, the skeleton. Yes, the skeleton. At the end of the second act the fairy appears at Princess Aurora's birthday party and starts kicking up a fuss. One of four princes there to court Aurora (who seems a bit of a tease) pulls out his sword to do away with the fairy and is struck down by a fireball. No one seems to notice his demise and his corpse just kind of lays down stage left. When the heroic prince shows up at the castle one hundred years later he is greeted by sleeping courtiers and...a skeleton. A finely dressed skeleton. God bless you, ballet skeleton.

No comments: