Thursday, September 29, 2011

I Will Wear This Dress So Hard

I've started working on my Halloween costume (yes, I know it's early, but I had an idea so I just started before I could lose steam) and have been looking around the web for inspiration where I stumbled upon the blog The Dreamstress.  She's "a textile historian, seamstress, designer, speaker and museum professional" from New Zealand.  While the underlying theme of my costume will be "what can I tack onto the top that will cover my hideous stitching?", the projects and inspiration pics on her blog almost make me want to take the time to learn to sew (almost).  

Look at the satin in the middle, it looks like a photograph!  (Okay, so this isn't so much about the dress as the painting technique, but still, it's fabric-related).  Also, she's going to KILL you.

 I want to wear this dress very badly.  The color! The draping!

I will also wear this one. While I'm driving my little carriage to town.
AND this one, which is one the blogger actually made herself.
I will wear this one SO hard.



Holy crap, this last one just makes me want to vomit with joy.  I want to wear it so very, VERY badly, corset and all.  Again, that hideously beautiful mustard color fills me with unexplainable joy.  The square neckline and the simple structure make it look so clean and tidy and you can focus on the line of the dress, but the buttons down the front, the little bit of gathered material (that seems to go into a bitchin' train), the embroidered flowers and the little hint of mustard at the bottom keep it from being boring.  Damn I love structured clothing.  I wish I knew this woman (and I guess lived in New Zeland?) so that I could go to her parties and events and wear these types of things.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

these dresses are awesome. the last one is my favorite. and i can totally see that mustard color on you. the drapy mustard color one would be sweet.