Monday, January 11, 2010

Weekend Wanderings and Wonderings

Sometimes weekends make me think about things I enjoy in life and how I should find some way to dedicate my life to that...but then I'd have to figure out my future and how the hell am I supposed to do that?

Saturday Liz and I started a thorough New Year's cleaning on our apartment (I LOVE being home and wearing an apron and making things shiny, I should be a housewife!). It was very satisfying to see surfaces again. Then we went to see The Road (so depressing! so good! I LOVE movies, I should be a critic! I also LOVE books, I should be a librarian!). I decided that I'm just not cut out for post-apocalyptic horror. I might be able to handle the day to day survival grind, but I don't think I'm brave and wily and mentally tough enough to survive against hideously evil people no longer bound by the constraints of society.

Sunday we dedicated almost entirely to food, often of the ethnic variety. Woke up and watched a show about cooking Moroccan food (Preserved lemon! Saffron! Garlic! Bread products!) and a Rick Steves episode about Switzerland (I LOVE travel! I should become an artist-activist-volunteer and backpack around the world!) We finally left the house and were off to the Ballard Farmer's Market. Beauty. Even in winter, just tasting all the delicious local cheese and seeing those root vegetables stacked up in all their scuffed and natural glory made me feel hungry and artistic and over-cultured all at once (I LOVE being in nature and the idea of a simple life, I should become an organic farmer-cum-John Muir type and help my sister run her commune!). Then onto Uwajimaya, a completely bitchin' Asian grocery where I purchased seaweed and sesame candy and duck legs. Oddly, the duck legs were for a Mexican recipe I want to make, but it is much harder to find a Mexican grocery in the Northwest than it is in Sacramento or Santa Barbara (I needs me some pork lard and tomatillos!) Then onto Costco and finally home to make ham and lentil soup. All this gave me an overwhelming desire to just shop and cook huge, wacky, varied meals (I LOVE food and cooking! I should become a chef!)

Can I be a housewife-film critic-librarian-traveling-farmer-chef? Future-crisis aside, I'd give this weekend a big ol' thumbs up.

1 comment:

Kara said...

I think you need to add "in Washington" to the end of your blog title. and I believe that you would make the most wonderful housewife-film critic-librarian-traveling-farmer-chef! There's no one that I know that would be more qualified.